Sunday 30 October 2016

Sprint One - As "Stuart McLean" I want to be able to get a csv list of entrants for a brevet.

The physc evals tell me I'm an implementer - which means I get cracking on things but, as many around me know, rarely finish.  You need a completer finisher for that.
So, I thought a lot and put one thing on the backlog that I might be able to achieve in an hour.

Breaking down the user story

It looks pretty innocuous - right - but - believe it or not, there has been a fair amount of thought into such a simple story.

Let's start with the actor.


"Stuart McLean" - why not a brevet organiser.


Well - there is a whole bunch of stuff that needs doing do secure the average online applicaiton - authentication, authorisation, deployment, hosting etc.  As "Stuart McLean" I can circumnavigate all of these and focus on the data!

Get a list of csv entrants

So as I said in my last blog - I already have a way of using excel to do lots of the admin.  The big task is to get the data in a spreadsheet.

For a brevet

Well - I guess it's really for the next brevet!

What I have

Well - I guess I already have a list of previous people and brevets.
I also know what brevets are coming up.

Solution Overview

I'm going to create a database - whoop whoop - to store:
Riders,
The Brevets,
Entrants to a brevet - i.e. the relationship between the Riders and the Brevets.
Then I'm going to upload the data from the excel files I have.  This should give me a list of riders, existing entries and previous brevets.
This should validate my data model.
I'm going to do all this in SQL Server management studio straight on the database.

No comments:

Post a Comment