Tuesday 1 November 2016

Sprint One - Still sharpening the sword

Not a single line of code has been written and Abe Lincoln is fast approaching his time to get the axe out.

So, whilst cycling of course, I went over my previous brief:

As "Stuart McLean" I want to be able to get a csv list of entrants for a brevet.


"I'm going to create a database - whoop whoop - to store:
Riders,
The Brevets,
Entrants to a brevet - i.e. the relationship between the Riders and the Brevets.
Then I'm going to upload the data from the excel files I have.  This should give me a list of riders, existing entries and previous brevets.
This should validate my data model.
I'm going to do all this in SQL Server management studio straight on the database!"

A couple of worries - in one hour.
  1. I have duplicates in my spreadsheets - not sure I'll have time in the hour to sort out these duplicates.
  2. Should I be starting with a database project?
I guess a "database project" is one of my technical user stories - after all I said in my first blog on this that doing some coal face work is part of the aim.
But I've never used the DB projects in anger.  I know they've been around for ages but scripts have been around even longer.
In an hour! 

OK - so heres another breakdown - 

"I'm going to create a database - whoop whoop - to store:
Riders,
The Brevets,
Entrants to a brevet - i.e. the relationship between the Riders and the Brevets.
Then I'm going to upload the data from the excel files I have.  This should give me a list of riders, existing entries and previous brevets.
I'm going to upload the data for one of the previous brevets.
This should validate my data model.
I'm going to do all this in SQL Server management studio straight on the database
I'm going to use a database project to create the schema and any procedures etc,
I'm going to create my brevets for 2016 - because I have them.
I'm going to use ssms to put the data in and out.
!"

Big question here that I need to address - how the heck am I going to get testing (system/uat) in in the hour?


No comments:

Post a Comment